Classic Western Scores 2
Label: Silva America
Cat.#: SSD 1061
Country: United States
Release Date: 1996
Silva Screen takes us into "the wide open spaces", with some of the greatest composers to sit the saddle – Elmer Bernstein, Jerry Fielding, Dominic Frontiere, Manos Hadjidakis, Richard Hagerman, Lee Holdridge, Maurice Jarre, Doug Kershaw, David Mansfield, Jerome Moross, Basil Poledouris, and Dimitri Tiomkin. Hard riding is the name of the game, and great scoring gives the listener high mountains and deep valleys, taking us back to those thrilling and early days of the classic western.
Must mention of some stand outs: "SHE WORE A YELLOW RIBBON"(Richard Hagerman), John Ford's story of the cavalry features John Wayne (outstanding performance) and Victor McLaglan (never better) sharing the spotlight with Hagerman's sentimental score, capturing each characters mood with a splendid screenplay."THE PROUD REBEL"(Jerome Moross), starring Alan Ladd (remember him as Shane) and Olivia De Havilland (Oscar Winner), make this a memorable film with the help of Moross' sweeping score---"RED SUN"(Maurice Jarre), is one of the best "American Western" scores from this Academy Award Composer, as Jarre blends early cowboys of America, France and Japan in a strange and exciting film.
Another great job by Nic Raine and The City Of Prague Philharmonic.
1. Lonesome Dove: Suite (09:47)
2. Heavens' Gate: Sweet Breeze (04:06)
Adaptation by David Mansfield
3. Heaven's Gate: Mamou Two-Step (01:49)
4. Old Gringo: Finale (07:21)
5. The Sons of Katie Elder: Main Theme (02:12)
6. The Proud Rebel: Pastorale (03:38)
7. El Condor: Main Titles (03:21)
8. She Wore a Yellow Ribbon: Suite (07:33)
9. Blue: The River (04:06)
10. Red River: River Crossing (03:40)
11. Hang 'Em High: Main Theme (03:40)
12. Red Sun: Suite (11:10)
13. The Outlaw Josey Wales: The War is Over (04:30)
Total Duration: 01:06:53