London Studio Symphony Orchestra
Country: Great Britain
Release Date: 1988
Previously released in the Netherlands in 1981, on 12” 33rpm LP Vinyl (Unicorn DKP 9002), and in Great Britain by the Musical Heritage Society (MHS 4822L), also on 12” 33rpm LP Vinyl, in 1983.
Gatefold sleeve. The London Studio Symphony Orchestra conducted by Laurie Johnson & The John McCarthy Singers.
This is a delightful recording of some of Tiomkins best known movie music. Laurie Johnson, a conductor whose name was new to me, has the orchestra and chorus performing with theatrical gusto that is entirely appropriate to the music. He has managed just the right degree of roughness, avoiding any overly polished quality that would have reduced this to elevator music. (Don't be misled by the conductor's first name, Laurie Johnson is a "he," an English composer-conductor born in London in 1927.) The vocal solo in "High Noon" is handled very nicely by Bob Saker, whose voice resembles that of Tex Ritter, who sang the song in the movie, more than that of Frankie Lane. My only complaint is a minor one: I would have liked to hear much more music from each of the six movies represented here.
1. Giant-Prelude (02:14)
2. Red River-Prelude And Wagon Train (03:55)
3. Red River-Red River Crossing (02:28)
4. Red River-Challenge And Finale (03:17)
5. Duel In The Sun-Prelude And Legend (02:59)
6. Duel In The Sun-The Buggy Ride (02:29)
7. Duel In The Sun-Trek To The Sun, Love-Death And Finale (05:01)
8. High Noon-Main Titles (02:49)
9. High Noon-The Clock And Showdown (08:41)
10. High Noon-End Titles (01:05)
11. Night Passage-Follow The River (02:55)
12. Rio Bravo-De Guella (03:28)
13. Rio Bravo-Love Theme (02:26)
14. Rio Bravo-Main Theme (End Titles) (01:55)
Total Duration: 00:45:42